The Boy Scouts of America have developed a week-long training experience, the National Youth Leadership Training Conference (NYLT), that has proven valuable in the training of youth leaders. The conference will stress the skills of leadership that will make youth leaders more effective in their unit leadership positions.
The conference will be held two weekends at William H. Pouch Scout Camp, Staten Island, New York.
The participant MUST attend both sessions:
- 6pm, Friday, September 20th through 5pm Sunday September 22nd, 2013; and
- 6pm, Friday, October 4th through 4pm Sunday October 6th, 2013
Do you have what it takes to take advantage of this exciting opportunity? Well, only one scout from each Troop may attend and our Troop Committee has devised a way to pick the most deserving candidate from our Troop.
The 2013 National Youth Leader Training [NYLT] Conference Essay Contest
Using your knowledge and personal experience of the Boy Scout program and other experiences, write an essay explaining:
- How attending the National Youth Leadership Training conference will benefit you personally (inside and outside of scouting);
- What lessons will you expect to bring back to the Troop; and
- How you plan on using these lessons in your leadership activities within the Troop going forward
All participants must be a First Class Scout and 13 years of age at the start of the conference.
- One (1) essay submission per scout.
- Essay should be between 300 and 500 words typed, double spaced.
- Essays may be submitted in hard copy or electronically.
- All essays must be submitted by Friday July 19th, 2013 to Mr. DiTrani or any Assistant Scoutmaster. Electronic copies can be sent to Barney Margolis, Assistant Scoutmaster, at [email protected] with NYLT in the Subject Line.
- Winner will be determined by July 31st, 2013.
Download the Essay Contest directions here and may the best Scout win!
Good luck Gentlemen.