It is with regret to inform you that Anne R. Fairchild (Nee Caccavo), age 85, of Westerleigh, passed away peacefully on March 2, 2018, at Seaview Nursing Home. She was the beloved mother of Dr. Phyllis Brown and her husband, Ed (Assistant Scoutmaster); cherished grandmother of Troop 37 Alumni Edward, Matthew, and Brendan. Funeral from the Matthew Funeral Home, Inc., 2508 Victory Boulevard, on Wednesday at 8:45 am. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Teresa’s R.C. Church at 9:30 am. Interment to follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery. Family and friends will be received on Monday from 6 to 9 pm and Tuesday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm.
Uniform standards are relaxed this week, so we will be wearing Class B T-Shirts for this week’s meeting, this will allow for our Class A Uniforms to be clean and ready for the Battleship New Jersey trip on Saturday.
“Knot of the Month” is the Square Lashing
CHECK OUT the Animated Square Lashing link:
Battleship New Jersey Sleepover Trip Saturday February 24, 2018
We are meeting at the shed on Saturday afternoon at 1:30 PM. Please be sure to read what to bring and NOT to bring. Please also be sure to read the PREBOARDING PROCEDURES EMAIL sent by Scoutmaster.
What to Bring
- Wear Class A Uniform
• Sleeping bag or blanket, a sheet and a pillow. Compartments are heated and air conditioned, but variations exist. Be guided by the weather. Bring weather-appropriate sleepwear. The Battleship provides only a mattress.
• Any personal gear that may go adrift should be marked with the owner’s name.
• Bring only soft carrying bags, as small as possible. No hard framed backpacks, hard luggage, luggage carts or school bag wheelies.
• Flashlight with fresh batteries
• Still camera for pictures (no video cameras)
• Face cloth, towel, dental care products, prescription medicines, personal toiletries.
• If desired, a padlock with key or combination for your locker.
• Playing cards, small board games, etc.
• Money for souvenirs and snacks
What NOT to Bring
• Alcohol and illegal substances, chewing gum or tobacco, pets, fishing gear.
• Fireworks, firearms, pocketknives and Leatherman-type tools, pliers and screwdrivers.
Anyone caught using tools to remove or deface ship items will be prosecuted.
• Smoking below decks is not permitted at any time. Smoking by adults is permitted only on the elevator platform ONLY when smoking lamp is lit.
• Audio devices such as a Ipod, CD or MP3 players, or radios.
• Cell phones do not work well below decks. The noise level below decks can be high and everyone needs to be able to hear announcements for safety and organizational purposes so it is helpful to minimize local noise. No headphones.
• Air mattresses are prohibited.
• “Roller sneakers” are strictly prohibited as they are a serious safety hazard. Safe, comfortable footwear is strongly
There will be a special visit this week so please be in full “Class A” uniform. We will also be holding a Uniform Inspection (Patrol Points)
We are going to work on Lashing Skills starting with square lashing– review Boy Scout Handbook pages 392-400. be sure to bring your handbook to the meeting. (Patrol Points) “Be Prepared” for some instant Patrol Point challenges throughout the meeting.
CHECK OUT the Animated Square Lashing link:
Battleship New Jersey Sleepover Trip Saturday, February 24, 2018 Permission Slip [Click Here]
Community Service Opportunity Color Guard Request
Looking for a few Scouts to volunteer for a Veterans breakfast at the Staaten on Saturday, February 24 at 9:30.
This Friday, December 15th, 2017 Come celebrate the holiday spirit at Troop 37′s Annual Christmas Pizza – Party. It is being held at regular meeting location St. Teresa’s Lower church Hall 7:30 pm.
No Uniforms. Wear something festive!!!
Parents and siblings are encouraged to attend. In addition to pizza, deserts, skits, and songs we are expecting a visit from Santa and he needs to know who is coming.
Please contact your Patrol Leader to inform him whether you and how many in your family will be attending. Please reach out if you have not heard from him by Monday evening.
Senior Patrol please be sure to arrive by 7:00 pm for setup
GREENBAR / PLC will meet at 6:30 PM prior to Troop Meeting All Senior Patrol Members & All Patrol Leaders are required to attend
Regular Troop Meeting begins at 7:30 PM- Class B Uniform
This week Scout Skills Instruction we will work on 7 A & B the remaining requirements for earning the Search and Rescue Merit Badge.
Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) system, latitude, and longitude. We will also be working on winter skills in preparation for Klondike.
Bring Scout Handbook
“Knot of the Month” is Lanyard Hitch (Cow Hitch)
You should also know the knots of the previous months (Square Knot, Two Half Hitches, Taught Line Hitch, Clove Hitch). Be Prepared! Is anyone ready for the “Know Knot Challenge”? Check out the Cow Hitch animated knot link: http://www.animatedknots.com/cow/
BOWL-A- THON – Rab’s Country Lanes
This weekend on Saturday and Sunday Aquehonga District will be holding it’s BOWL-A- THON. If you are interested in attending on either day or both please see the attached flyer (Click Here). It is still not too late to sign up for bowling.
Service Patrol: Pink Panthers please arrive early to set up LCH
Honor Patrol: Howling Coyotes Opening and Closing
“Stop the Bleed” – Friday, December 8th – Troop Meeting – Guest Speakers
Troop 37 Christmas Party – Friday, December 15